Tuesday, April 12, 2016

April 3rd Hint of the Week


Keep a notebook! No matter how much you think you will remember how thick you put a glaze on, whether you dipped, painted or sprayed it, how many layers of glaze & which glaze came first, was, or even what glaze you used to begin with, you will forget! And scraps of paper get lost too. So use a composition book, spiral notebook or a 3 ring binder. Write down everything you do, as you do it. Some of us add number to each piece of pottery so we can write down all the details of a particular piece. The numbers come in handy. I often look at a cup or bowl I’m using & think I know what I did, but I can check the number against my glaze book even a couple years later, & find out what that glaze was, what kind of firing & exactly what I did. But what you’ll learn is that you probably never write enough. The more you do it the better you’ll get at what to write down. Some folks also add photos of their pieces. These things will start paying off right away. Get a glaze book.

No comments:

Post a Comment